Sunday, July 4, 2010

It has begun...

and I'm already exhausted. While it's probably the best move to get us into the swing of things and into a Korean schedule I wouldn't have complained about a little bit more time to rest. After some free time at the airport and seeing highlights of Germany crush Argentina (wow) we loaded the buses and headed off to orientation.

The drive through the Korean countryside was pretty striking. I wish I had been more awake to appreciate it but it was a nice introduction into what the country is all about. Everything is SO green and there are beautiful mountains surrounding this entire area. The university where they're holding our orientation is literally nothing like a college campus back home. The architecture is a combination of traditional Korean and what looks like the structure of a government building from DC. It's difficult to describe in so many words but it's a great place to start getting adjusted to this country and its culture.

The adjustment to Korean food hasn't been difficult so far. I was a little bit disappointed when they had a poor man's excuse for french fries at dinner tonight - I'd rather them make us dive headfirst into the kind of food we'll be seeing all year. I can already tell that rice as the main course of almost every meal is going to get old...then again so is Korean cafeteria food in general.

Besides being late to my very first meeting today things are running smoothly. We're exploring the surrounding town tomorrow so I'll know a little more about what this area has to offer. Until then all I want to do is sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment