So apparently my homestay family is moving in February. Some of my friends and previous ETAs in the Fulbright Korea Program have been forced to readjust or change homestays because families have relocated, so it's not a totally uncommon situation. Because of the language barrier, I'm still not totally sure what's going on but it sounds like when I start my second semester at the beginning of March I will also be in a new apartment.
I went with my host mom and sister to see the place a couple of days ago. They call it a house instead of an apartment but it's set up exactly like a one-floor apartment unit. I think the reason they make the distinction is because it isn't located in an actual apartment complex. Instead, it's on the fourth floor of a more residential building on top of a water bubbler retail store, a taekwando dojo, and a norebang signing room. While the entertainment value of the building might be higher, I can't really say the move represents an upgrade for me and I'm a little bit nervous about it. The neighborhood isn't nearly as bustling and modern, my new room has no view of the outside world, and it's farther from my school. My host brother and sister don't seem too happy about the move either but the new place is closer to English and math academies that their parents force them to go to after school.
In another shady development, my host mom requested that I keep the move a secret from my coteacher. In the summer, after Fulbright placed us in our respective schools, we were told that the homestay family and coteacher should be in constant contact and communication regarding our adjustment and well-being as foreign teachers. I can't figure out the reason my host mom would ask me to do this but it doesn't seem like the best idea. Teachers from my school pick me up every morning so they obviously need to know my address, not to mention the need to update my emergency information. Luckily, I'm escaping for a few weeks so I can avoid the drama but who knows how the beginning of next semester is going to play out.
ouch..sorry tohear that my friend. but let me tell you, if you're sharing the same buildling with a norebang, you're never goign to sleep. maybe you can talk to the higher-ups about gettin your own place...
ReplyDeletein the mean time, have a great break!1