Monday, December 6, 2010

A Mixed Bag

Trips to Seoul are often accompanied by the unexpected and unplanned. This weekend, a group of us traveled to Korea's capital to celebrate Jim’s 23rd birthday. Overall, the weekend was a success but I’ll start by saying that this wasn't my best/most graceful start to a weekend trip since being in Korea. Those of you who remember back two years ago to a fateful meeting between a Viennese escalator and my two front teeth will no doubt experience flashes of nostalgia.

My teeth - Jan. 2009

My eye - Dec. 2010

This time around, my "sure footing" gave way as I tried to exit a taxi in the streets of Seoul. I won’t gross you out with the details, but let’s say it looked a lot worse a couple of days ago than it does now. In short, Neosporin and Advil are proving to be lifesavers.

On Saturday, I took my Sabbath a day early – I needed it after Friday’s debacle. Luckily, our accommodations for Saturday night were beyond comfortable. I doubt I’ll be back to the Grand Hyatt Seoul anytime soon but the location, atmosphere and views from the 14th floor provided memories that will stick.

Emilee, Jim and Tim at the Grand Hyatt

On Sunday, I went to my second professional soccer game since being in Korea. Somehow, since I arrived in Korea in July, the K-League has already narrowed its ranks to the two top sides in the professional division. FC Seoul and Jeju United were set to square off in the second leg of their championship playoff and the game proved to be an entertaining spectacle. The home side got the winner with about 15 minutes to play after a backpass squirmed through the legs of Jeju's 'keeper resulting in a corner kick. A free header at the back post saw FC Seoul score the telling goal and send their fans into hysteria amidst fireworks going off on either side of the pitch. Apparently, vendors at the game ran out of water at some point in the second half but extra-large soft drink cups filled with beer certainly didn't hurt the overall experience at the game.

FC Seoul fans

Post-goal celebrations

Jim, Me and Tim


Seoul World Cup Stadium

1 comment:

  1. haha keep bustin' up ya face ya fool, you're startin to look good

    ReplyDelete