Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Golf

This week, my host mother started taking golf lessons. Tonight, thinking I was being a good houseguest, I agreed to go with her to her indoor golf range where I assumed we would be hitting some balls for fun. A logical conclusion, yes? Despite my limited Korean and her limited English, I thought I gathered at least that much from her invitation and our quick conversation. Wrong.

We spent an hour sitting with her golf teacher while they talked about me in Korean and tried to sign me up for golf lessons. At one point, she even asked me how much money I had in my wallet!! Now my Korean is bad, but I know when I'm being talked about. And I know when it's generally positive or negative. It's now clear that my host mother thinks I spend too much time alone and has resorted to trying to sign me up for activities that I have expressed zero interest in. The extent of my interest in golf begins and ends at the "Pitch n' Putt", two-club golf course at Kimball Farm in Westford, Massachusetts with Tom and Nick or at the occasional driving range.

Paying for lessons for a "sport" that I consider more of a hobby for the aging and in a language I don't speak does not seem a good use of my time or money. Maybe I'll translate that last sentence and give it to my host mom next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment