While it remains difficult to conceptualize, I am getting a better grasp of the layout of Jinju every day. After getting out of the shower last night at 7:00 following a long day at school, my host mother informed me that she had made plans for me to get coffee with Matt G.’s uncle and that I had 10 minutes to get ready. Not used to having other people make plans for me, I tried to communicate to her that I would like to be asked next time, but I’m almost positive this point didn’t get across. I wasn’t about to make a big fuss about a free coffee, but I left the house a little bit annoyed.
Matt’s uncle turned out to be a nice guy and it’s clear that he wants to make me feel comfortable in Jinju. Like most people I’ve met here, effective communication is the most difficult thing to achieve. On the phone, his English sounded fine and it wasn’t challenging to talk to him, but it felt like the moment I got into his car, we left our communication skills at the apartment. He’s kind enough to want to make sure that I’m adjusting to the challenges of living in Jinju and not experiencing too much loneliness, but it’s difficult to find common ground with a 60 year-old Korean man to whom I am not related. Interestingly enough, he wants to show me around again later on. I suppose it’s nice to be worried about once in a while, even if it’s by strangers.
One of the hardest parts of being in a place like Jinju (i.e. a city where English isn’t prevalent) is that I’m missing out on the opportunity to converse with people about anything substantial - talking about the weather and Korean food has gotten sufficiently old. Skype and email aren’t great ways to stay connected, but I can feel my English conversation skills starting to slip. I don’t mind spending time alone but I’m going to need to find some friends my age before I forget how to interact with people.
Best of luck to my brother, Ben, and Brian on their trip out West - be safe boys.
No comments:
Post a Comment