Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Seoul...





...is gigantic. For someone who has only been to New York City once in his life and is used to a city like Boston, Seoul is a little bit overwhelming in terms of the amount of people and commotion. The subway map looks like the blueprint to an alien spaceship. It's going to take some serious studying (much more than I did for Korean) to get the hang of that. Some people interact with a place like that better than others, but in terms of the amount of distractions, I think it's a good idea that no first year ETAs are permitted to live there. The city is always alive. I thought Austrians partied until early morning...Koreans put them to shame. The bars in one of the more popular districts seem like they never close.

The DMZ was something else. Not only did I technically visit North Korea through a building that straddles the border itself, I was warned we had to stay in the bus at points along the tour because there was a tiny risk we'd be attacked by rocket launchers and automatic weapons seeing as how the North Korean side of the "Bridge of No Return" has no regulations on firearms. Call me crazy but I don't think a Korean tour bus would survive an RPG up its ass. I could be wrong. P.S. that gentleman you see peering at me with binoculars is affectionately known as Bob by the American soldiers posted at the DMZ. Obviously they don't have any interaction with the North Korean soldiers so I suppose they had to call him something? My question is, why not something a little more creative like Fang or Ezekiel to spice things up a bit?

On an unrelated note, I graduated Korean language in mediocrity. A couple of Bs and Cs grace my red velvet diploma but the overall goal was to pass - which every one of us was able to do. It was sad saying goodbye to our teachers. They were a huge part of our lives for the past 6 weeks and we definitely got close to them on one level or another. In that vein, most of them seemed eager to get in touch with us as soon as possible. They'll definitely make fun drinking partners the next time we're in Seoul.

If anyone knows how to keep the injury bug away from Arsenal, please, please let me know. Wishing Nasri and Frimpong speedy recoveries.

No comments:

Post a Comment