Saturday, May 7, 2011

Outback

I went to the Outback Steakhouse in Jinju for lunch today. Because it's an American-based restaurant, all of the waiters and waitresses had nametags with Korean and English names.

Many of the Fulbright ETAs choose to give their students English identities as a fun activity at the beginning of the semester while often making it easier for them to remember names. Popular names coincide with celebrities, sports figures, and musicians (i.e. Angelina, Kobe, and Lady Gaga).

Now I assume one of the many benefits of working at an Outback Steakhouse in Korea is that you get to choose your own English name for the nametag you'll wear to each and every shift.

On the way to our table I saw Amy taking an order. I saw Chris clearing some dishes off a table. And I saw Lisa showing some customers to their seats.

Our waitress's name was Lemon.

Lemon. Lemon. LEMON.

I hope she didn't know that when I started to laugh it was at her...


2 comments:

  1. I know how much you love Outback Steakhouse...the lighting in particular is my favorite part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha! does it make me a dense girlfriend if i kind of think this is my favorite blog post?

    ReplyDelete