So far, the year 2011 is not putting on a strong showing in this blog. A lot has fallen through the cracks and not been included. Although I'm sure this blog will still go down in history as a literary masterpiece. My motivation to write hasn't decreased, the days simply feel shorter with an increased teaching load and more busy weekends than the fall.
As a result, I am going to make an effort to share shorter, more visually driven posts as many of the pictures I take can portray Korea and Korean culture in a way that my words cannot possibly do. Think of this as the beginning of a new regime.
My homestay family and I are rarely all home together at the same time during the week. Often, I am home first around 5 or 6pm and treated to a dinner prepared by my homestay grandma who lives down the road.
채이 dragged me out of my room one evening to play with blocks. She wanted to make the tallest tower possible and went wild when we were able to build one taller than her.
As I've mentioned, my family loves to hike. Almost every weekend, we travel to a new place in Korea and do some walking/hiking. Two weeks ago we went to one of the oldest temples in Korea called 서남사 (Seonamsa). The temple staff were prepared for Buddha's birthday and decorations, like those surrounding this pagoda, were everywhere.
The hike that day was much longer and more difficult than we expected. Instead of hiking to the top, the end of our road was the ice cream vendor about 3km up. He had dry ice. Awesome.
Last weekend was our spring conference on 제주도 (Jeju Island). This was the view of 할라산 (Hallasan), Korea's most famous mountain, from our hotel window.

No comments:
Post a Comment