1) I love any occasion, legitimate or not, to celebrate America's awesomeness.
2) The 4th of July turns America into a coast-to-coast summer party. Enough said.
3) Fireworks.
After discerning this third reason I thought: "I wonder when the next time I'll see real fireworks is?" Because honestly, who doesn't love fireworks? Anyone who says they don't is lying through their teeth and probably deserves to be slapped. Because no one likes liars.
After realizing that I'll still be in Korea on July 4, 2011, I admitted to myself that it might be a while until I saw my next good 'ole American fireworks display. I had just begun to come to terms with this admission when, lo and behold, three separate fireworks displays entered my life in the past six days. That's right. In less than one calendar week I have seen colorful explosions of light paint Jinju's night sky three individual times. Needless to say, my quota has been matched and surpassed but I think it's worth chronicling the events themselves.
1) Jinju Lantern Festival - My last post mentioned this one. Jinju's annual lantern festival finished up this past Tuesday and Sunday night marked it's weekend finale. It seemed like the whole city was out to see this display and it didn't disappoint.
2) Gyeongsang National University - The university across the street from my apartment kicked off its school festival on Wednesday night. This event included fireworks in what appeared to be a location that was dangerously close to a main road that runs through town. I happened to be in a coffee shop across the street at the time and witnessed a minor car accident occur due to the impromptu, gunshot-like sounds going off nearby.
3) Gyeongsang National University - Just another Friday night in Jinju? Of the three scenarios, I am least sure about the purpose of these fireworks. I'm pretty sure the school festival goes for another night but maybe the most important night was tonight? Unclear.
Well, if you don't enjoy fireworks, or hearing me talk about fireworks, I'm genuinely sorry if you sat through this post hoping for the pace to pick up.
No comments:
Post a Comment