Monday, September 13, 2010

In a funk

It's a really disheartening feeling to wake up on a Monday and already be bored with my plans for the week. It's not that I'm not enjoying my time here - quite the opposite in fact. I'm feeling more like a part of my school and host family every day and the nuances of Korean culture are starting to make more sense, but the lack of immediate excitement is taking its toll. Maybe I'm kidding myself in thinking that just because I'm in a foreign country, every day will be an adventure. Perhaps I'm not looking hard enough for opportunities to be spontaneous and wild? I feel myself getting roped into routines that aren't necessarily bad, just monotonous. Along these same lines, any ideas for new hobbies and/or activities would be appreciated.

This time of year in a Korean school is completely different than what I am used to. Back home, the fall represents new beginnings and the air is full of anticipation. Here, the first two weeks of 2nd semester have come and gone and everyone has gotten readjusted quickly. Second year students are overwhelmed with college applications and first years continue to have boundless energy, but there isn't the same excitement surrounding the start of a new school year that I've grown accustomed to.

Not a lot of other news to report. Tom, good luck starting the new job on Wednesday. You're going to kill it. Adrienne, congratulations on the new apartment.

Fantasy football blunder Week 1: benching Arian Foster and seeing him go off for 41 points against Indy. When the bench almost outscores the starters, the manager has some reevaluating to do during the week. Damn...

In the real world, as opposed to the fantasy one, good start for the Pats. Missed you Wes.

2 comments:

  1. ADVICE FROM BIG BROTHER MIKE WHEN I WAS ABROAD and feeling similar...ish:
    "What I am trying to say is that you should try to go with the flow, but be ready to take advantage of an opportunity that comes your way. No matter what you do, you are doing something amazing. You can't help but take full advantage of where you are because no matter what you do, you will do something that most people have never done. So you can't lose."

    etc. :)

    ReplyDelete